Sink or Swim

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Moving from the limbo to the roller coaster

I’ve admitted that the limbo was never my thing, but I certainly used to love roller coasters. I’m so ready to get off this one, but it looks like we might have one more month of the ride. Last week, the rumors were positively radiant. “Good surprises!” “All of September!” “Well into September!” Where I had previously thought we had about a 25-30% chance of being included, I suddenly had a surge of optimism. I even got my husband a little excited, although he generally scoffs at rumors. Now, the rumors have crashed to earth, and the thud of a September 7 cutoff rings in my ears (our LID is 9-9-05). Another month of waiting and probably travel after Chinese New Year. I am trying not to take it to heart too closely since last month’s rumors underestimated the cutoff date. Instead, I’m trying to focus on our lovely Thanksgiving holiday. We spent two days with my mom and three with my husband’s family. A real highlight was the shower my in-laws threw for us. We played hilarious games like “Baby Jeopardy,” “The Newly-Parent Game,” and my favorite, the “Baby Relay Race.” We were timed on how quickly we could feed, bottle, burp, change, read to, sing to and tuck in a Cabbage Patch Doll. I was second, and my time was ok, but things degenerated by the time my nephews finally participated. Applesauce was flying through the air, diapers went around the doll’s head, and “Hail Mary” passes into the crib were not unusual. The best relay time was for my brother-in-law who looked down at the doll and yelled for his wife, “Hey! Come and get your kid!” I nearly peed my pants I was laughing so hard. In addition to many wonderful gifts, everyone from the 9-year-old to my 76-year-old mother-in-law gave us a copy of their favorite book as a child. They ran the gamut from The Very Hungry Caterpillar to Green Eggs and Ham to Walter the Farting Dog. (Plus one SAT Study Guide for Math – too hilarious!) My husband asked everyone to take his or her book and write a message to our daughter in the front. Just thinking about what they wrote (especially the kids) chokes me up. They are all so eager to meet and love our daughter; it is almost overwhelming. Even if we wait another month, I feel full of love and gratitude at the moment for our wonderful families. Not only were we showered with an embarrassing number of gifts, but also they have shared every step of the way with us, always ready with comfort, concern, support, and excitement.

It certainly makes the roller coaster ride much easier...

2 Comments:

Blogger Emanual said...

And you ARE NEXT!! I hope your day is good, or you apply retail therapy liberally.

11/30/2006 09:03:00 AM  
Blogger Lee said...

emanual,

I'm actually doing great this morning. It's a lovely, peaceful feeling to absolutely know we are next... And I did my retail therapy over lunch yesterday once the writing was on the wall about the 9/8 cutoff!

11/30/2006 09:53:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home